Bluecoat's distinctive architecture marries the old with the new. The oldest building in central Liverpool and the UNESCO World Heritage Site, its Queen Anne style (though it was actually built after her death) is a fine example of late English baroque architecture. The first occupants, the Liverpool Blue Coat School (or Hospital), expanded for nearly two centuries, adding or replacing parts of the original building, while retaining its capital H shape and front façade features. Further renovation took place when the building formally became an arts centre in 1927. Severely damaged in Liverpool May blitz of 1941, Bluecoat was restored again, reopening in 1951, with further repairs that decade. The most recent changes saw a complete refurbishment and addition of a new arts wing in 2008. This collection comprises material - maps, drawings, photographs and documents - relating to this history and the presence of architectural practices in the building since the early 20th century.
Image: Architects inspecting cornices for the post-war repairs to the building in 1955.
Who built Bluecoat?
The Back Front of the Charity School
The North Prospect of the Charity Schoole at Leverpoole
Architecture students' drawing room
Bluecoat's historic wooden staircase
Charles Reilly and students in fancy dress at University of Liverpool Architecture Department party at Bluecoat
The changing Bluecoat footprint
East Wing from Hanover Street
Stairs to Bluecoat Concert Hall
Post-war repairs to Bluecoat
Concert Hall post-war restoration
Sir Peter Shepheard, rendering for restoration
Bluecoat from Church Alley
Bluecoat's oval windows
The Sandon Music Room
Bluecoat entrance with liver bird
Arial View of Bluecoat
The new arts wing
Liverpool Architectural Society
Stephenson, Young & Partners, architects
Architects Hall, O'Donaghue and Wilson
Emily Harris: An unpublished set of drawings of the Bluecoat, 1937-1947. What do they reveal in the tercentenary of the UK’s first Art Centre?
Andrew McDonald, Arch
Architecture students' exhibition
Echo of the Past Bluecoat by Edmund Tan